Thursday, April 28, 2011

EVERYTHING, is better with Whipped Cream!!!


I've wondered lately if the person who coined the phrase, "pretty please, with sugar on top" had any idea of the power of sugar?

In my family sugar is a metaphor for, kindness, gentleness, patience, understanding, and plain ole sweetness. My husband, bless his heart, has put up with more than his share of my, crab-apple-ness if you will. A year ago or so we came up with a way for him to communicate to me that he'd like me STOP being mean, without saying it quite like that. Now, he says, "Can I have some sugar?" Those 5 simple words are more effective than him giving me a lecture about my poor attitude.

Today was one of those days that seemed to start out with an edge, and the edge got sharper as the morning progressed. At noon, I did an about face. I looked my oldest child in the eye, and asked her if she would please forgive me for being harsh and impatient with her. That little bit of sugar sweetened us both, and in seconds we were snuggling on the couch with our books, and strawberries, once again enjoying each other's company.

The good thing about sugar is that it attracts more. Start with a sprinkle, and pretty soon you have a bowl FULL!!! By bedtime tonight, each child was overflowing with good will, towards one another and towards me. There is nothing quite so lovely as ending a day well, knowing that your children feel loved from head to toe, as they snuggle under the covers. It makes us all happy when the last thing that they see before they drift off, is my smiling face.

There are definitely days/nights when things don't go quite so well, and threats fly... "IF YOU GET OUT OF BED AGAIN......"

But not tonight, tonight I remembered that everything is better with sugar, and whipped cream...



No comments:

Post a Comment