Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Blame Game

My 8 year old likes to blame the world for everything. She blames the powers that be if her backpack is too heavy. She blames her parents if she wakes up with a rooster tail or in a foul mood and usually the two go hand in hand. If she gets hungry before lunch, it must certainly be our fault, for not feeding her enough breakfast. For most other things that grieve her, she blames her siblings.

My initial response to her accusations, complaints and frequent protestations is a ready made sermonette, on the vice of whining and the dreaded consequence that such behavior will evoke. Occasionally, however, I reflect before I launch into my lecture. As I reflect it occurs to me that although whining may be a universal childhood problem, it is a problem that afflicts adults as well. It's possible that my lovely daughter inherited her grumbling spirit from me. How often do I verbalize my discontent or disatisfaction about life and circumstances? In reality there are bountiful blessings surrounding all of us, on all sides.

I'm searching for the remedy, the perfect potion to halt the "blame game", and bring about some perspective, and a healthy dose of reality. As in most cases I think the solution starts with me.

It's my theory that the more I cultivate a grateful, content and loving spirit the more I'll see that reflected in my children. After all if they inherit grumbling, can't they also inherit thankfulness???

Starting tomorrow, I'm putting it to the test.. Stay tuned. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'd add too, that unlearning to,'not just blame others' or 'not just grumble' [about the cards we were dealt], is one way of explaining taking ownership or responsibility for ones situation/mood etc. The "just be grateful" theory led me to complacency. The inaudible grumbling and not holding others' accountable, led me to a silent illness. Kids seem resilient in seeing this behavior in adults as well. Complain all you want, I say! Be don't just do nothing. Shifting the theory of "just being grateful" and "don't blame others", could so easily be restoryed as, "what are you going to do about it?" "do something differently then", "change it then, Elyse", "fine! whine, but go in the other room, please"... It takes guts and grit to get a girls voice heard in the larger society. She's just getting ready now. Brace yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the richness that added perspectives add to one's ever formulating notions. XOOOOOOXXXX

    ReplyDelete