Wednesday, May 11, 2011

When was the last time...


you had a perfect day?

We spent lazy, spring, afternoon moments, lying on our backs, shielding the sun with our forearms. We talked about why people's faces turn red when they laugh? Why jets make white streaks across the sky? And what was the name of that movie, about a boy and a cave?

When he'd finished with his questions, I asked a few of my own. Who loves you the most? Who do you love? All the while, knowing that my name would be near or at the top of the list.

Eventually, he grew restless as little boys often do. I managed to keep him with me a little while longer by stroking the inside of his arm with my fingers. He loves it when I do that, it puts him in a near trance.

Before long he was off in search of backyard adventure, and a snack. My mommy allure can hardly compete with his constant appetite for food, and fun.

Watching him walk away it struck me that, I am ABSOLUTELY in love with my 4 year old son.
It also struck me that I need to chronicle perfect days like today. I need to put down on paper the bright blue of the sky, the fluffy whiteness of the clouds, the smell of new, spring green grass, the gentle whisper of the breeze and the buzzing of flies just waking up from a long winter nap. But even more than all of that, I need to memorize, catalog and drink in the amazing sense, that in this moment, EVERYTHING is perfect!!

3 comments:

  1. I did not write it all down...but I still remember! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you do, and so do they, precious friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! That's why I love to blog. So I can put it all down and go back and read it later. I forget so fast. I wish I had a perfect memory...

    ReplyDelete