Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Pity Pot, not my favorite seat!


I've been feeling funky the last few days. If you must know I had a horrid Mother's Day. I've decided to put the blame where it should really lie. Marketers and distributors do their utmost to convince you, that there is a day in which it IS all about you. If you're a mom who is occasionally weary, you sink your teeth into the notion that on May 8th or whatever day in May Mother's Day happens to fall on, that on that day you will truly be able to wallow around in the notion that the world is stopping to pay homage to your sacrifice. If on that day you realize that the world couldn't care less it's a bit disillusioning, and you reel from the disappointment of unmet expectations, even if you're not sure what you expected.

It's not true. The problem is that as a mother, it's never all about you. The question can be raised about whether or not it even should be. Motherhood in and of itself is about sacrifice. Going from sacrifice to complete indulgence is a pretty big paradigm shift, even if it is just for one day.

I haven't decided exactly how to reconcile all of my mixed emotions about expectations, and disappointments. What I have concluded is that sitting, stewing, and feeling sorry for myself is an ugly practice that does no good, not for me or for those around me.

Here's to pulling up the boot straps, being thankful for my blessings, most specifically my children, and recognizing that life and everyday is what you make it.


3 comments:

  1. You are so right! I have a really hard time with this as well. It seems that I'm always getting my hopes up over something. andy's getting done with his finals and is going to have the week off so, shouldn't I get some time off? But even when I do, it's not satisfying because he doesn't do my job the same way I do and it annoys me again.

    But then I look at all the people around me that don't have appreciative husbands and children. My husband thanks me every day for all the stuff I do around the house and with our children and he cares about me and treats me like a queen and I start to feel better and realize that my expectations are met every day!

    That doesn't mean that I don't get down and wallow every now and then... especially when every media outlet and retailer in town is telling me what I need/want/deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "mixed emotions, expectations, and disappointments"....well,here's to living!
    I enjoyed reading this Nancy.
    I want to read your book.
    I feel there a more nuanced evolving self of Nancy coming, before you have the end chapters of that book.
    I can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks lovies for the input. :))
    You're the best. xo

    ReplyDelete