Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Desperately in search of the magic potion!


I have every hope of finishing strong, but little to no energy, to ensure that it happens.
I've been wondering lately how school teachers do it? How do they manage to steer, teach, direct 25-30 children, 5 days a week, 9 months out of the year? Perhaps I should hunt down a teacher and ask him/her.

As a Home Schooling Mommy, with one student, I'm fresh out of get up and go. We have 76 hours left to complete the required time allotment for second grade. It might as well be 1000 hours, because 5 more seconds seems like more than I can bear at this exact moment.

This year has been amazing. I've loved nearly every moment of it. We've had Viking Funerals, colored murals of the Battle of Hastings, we've sprouted seeds, dissected flowers, made costumes of empresses, counted endlessly, written dates, worked with manipulatives, read fascinating biographies, and the list goes on.

This school year, I've learned as much as my second grader. Perhaps I shouldn't admit that. The most important thing for me as a teacher, at this point is to instill in her a love of learning. I want her to be curious about everything. I want her to learn how to think, and reason. Most of all at the end of my time as her teacher I want to look back and be able to say that my pupil is intelligent, wise, kind, compassionate and discerning.

Maybe all I needed after all, was to re-visit my goals. Seeing them may have given me enough energy to get through this day and possibly, the next 75 hours as well. However a little magic potion couldn't hurt either...

If you know where I could get some???

No comments:

Post a Comment