Thursday, September 15, 2011

Congratulations...... Twins!!!

My husband prayed for twins.  I prayed that God would have mercy on me, and ignore my husband's request.  Obviously, God likes my husband better!

Our twins will be five tomorrow.  I find myself wide awake at this insane hour contemplating their brief time here on this earth, reliving some of their finer moments, wondering about their future and so on....

Honestly in my early 20s I had no interest whatsoever in having children.  I didn't like them, they didn't like me, and I was perfectly content with the notion of never being a parent.  Then, I met Steve, who had wanted to be a parent since he was in the 5th grade.  Before we got married he made me promise that I would at least consider the possibility of having children someday.  I conceded.

After four years of marriage I'd experienced a complete change of heart.  I was suddenly willing, to not only consider children but to start having them.  Three long years later we met Elyse, our firstborn.  We had spent years observing our friends who were parents.  We had read countless books on parenting, attended conferences, listened to sermons, and still nothing could have prepared us for what life would be like with her.

Elyse and I had fun.  I'd throw her in the jog stroller and we'd go the the park everyday to swing.  She'd sit in my lap and I would sing to her,  this was before she could talk and voice a protest about my singing.  We read books.  We went for walks.  We traveled.  In fact, I had so much fun being a mommy to Elyse that I was sure she needed a sibling to add to the giggles and good times, and Steve, the one with the great Kid Karma, was all for it.

As is typical with us, we decide something, like, "let's have another baby" and then it takes years for that something to come to fruition.  I'm not sure why that is?  Perhaps it's to teach us patience, or build character?  Who knows?

I remember the day I realized I was pregnant again.  I'd started craving celery and Tomato Juice.  I was short of breath over the slightest exertion, and I'd acquired a metal taste in my mouth, all telltale signs of pregnancy, for me.  I was thrilled when the little stick confirmed what I already knew.  However, when my friend and fellow sonographer Justina said "um.... I see two heartbeats!"  My first reaction was to scream, and not with elation!!!  Actually, I think I may have even uttered an oath or two.  I knew all too well the danger of carrying twins, the added work and sleeplessness that two babies simultaneously, would bring and I wanted NO part of it.

In short, my twin pregnancy was wretched, my twin delivery was nearly fatal, and my first 6 months as the mommy of twins and a 4 year old, was so awful that I've completely blocked it from my mind.  But, that was then, and this is now.

 Now, I watch my two little, five year old people, and I can't imagine doing anything differently.  They are like night and day.  They are eachother's biggest fan, and biggest foe, concurrently protective and abusive.  They laugh, play, run, scream and get into all sorts of mischief together.

For the record, I forgive God for giving me twins, I even forgive my husband for praying for them.  And if I'm really honest, I could never again, imagine my life without them!


Happy Birthday, Snoofola Poofola and Yoni Baloney, I love you all the way to Heaven and back!!!!



1 comment:

  1. BEAUTIFUL Dear Friend...Just Truly Beautiful. I can hardly wait to squeeze you ALL when I see you in December. xox ~ B

    ReplyDelete