Friday, June 10, 2011

Sometimes I Love It When They Cry!


Before you conclude that I am sick and twisted, let me explain. It's June (summer in most parts). Summer means that I, the mommy, spend, weeks, days, and long, long hours at my other job, the non-mommy job.

I love my work, love the patients, (except for the ones that don't bathe), love my Doctors, love the people that I get to work with. In short it's a nice break for me, the mommy, to get out of the house and do something that stimulates the clinical side of my brain.

Today was the first day, of my long summer stint of days, at the hospital. I came home around 8:30. The twins had already been in bed for a little while. My Buddy Boy, had gotten up to use the bathroom at which point he saw me. I kissed him good night, thinking that would be the end of it. Five minutes later he came into my room indignant about something. I told him it was bedtime, and I'd see him in the morning. Ten minutes after that, my husband came into our room and asked if I could go console The Man Cub?

Peeking into his room, I saw him, boo hooing for all that he was worth, face buried in his pillow. I scooted him over, laid down on his single mattress with him, and began to stroke his back, then his hair. The crying stopped. He turned over, and with our noses touching, he sighed, lip quivering, he drifted off to sleep.

Something about the way my son missed me today warmed my Mother's Heart. Very soon there will come a day, when I'll have to twist his arm for the privilege of a Good Night Kiss. So for tonight, I'll cherish the fact that nothing else in the world can soothe the woes of my children like their mommy!

Cherish the sight, smell, sound and feel of your children, in this moment, before the moment changes forever.

Good Night...

No comments:

Post a Comment